Sometimes, it may be necessary to provide assistance to the candidate in the form of additional supporting information during the exam, via the Assessment Driver (such as Pearson VUE Compiler). This can be achieved by adding Exhibit items to the items from the Exhibits tabs.
Exhibit items are nothing but Display type items from the current project that contain the necessary helpful information to be displayed to the candidate.
Exhibits may be one of two types:
- Split Screen: These are available to the candidate in the same viewing window by means of split screen display in the Assessment Driver.
- Popup: These are available to the candidate by clicking a button displayed in the Assessment Driver.
The various tabs related to exhibits are explained below.
Split Screen Exhibits
Split screen exhibits can be added and configured by clicking and expanding the Split Screen Exhibits accordion control tab.
Both Case and Standalone Split Screen Exhibits can belong to an item. Case split screen exhibits are added to this tab when you attach an item to a case. You can manually add and Delete the standalone exhibits. You can re-sequence exhibits by clicking and dragging the exhibits to rearrange the order of the exhibits.
Display-Type Items used as exhibits are added using the Add Item button. Type the Item ID or the Stem Text for the item in the Add item field, click on the item and then click Add Item.
The placement of the exhibit on the screen is controlled using orientation. Options include: Left, Right, Up, and Down.
The Adjustable setting specifies if the size of the split screen exhibit window may be adjusted manually by the candidate taking the exam. Options include: True and False.
The Ratio setting specifies the initial split screen ratio (out of 1) for the screen size that is allocated to the split screen exhibit. A decimal number ranging from 0.1 to 1.0. Setting the ratio to 0.1 specifies that 10% and 1 means 100%.
Require Complete Exhibit Display
Set the Require Complete Exhibit Display setting to True to make it mandatory for the candidate to view the entire split screen exhibit window before submitting the answer to the current item. Otherwise, this can be set to False.
Popup exhibits can be added and configured by clicking and expanding the Popup Exhibits accordion control tab.
Display-Type items to be used as exhibits are added using the Add Item button. Type the Item ID or the Stem Text for the item in the Add item field, click on the item and then click Add Item.
Enter the Title for the button using the Button Label field.
|Show Button Label||The Show Button Label setting specifies if the button label is displayed. The available options are True and False.|
Button Normal Image
An existing asset from the project can be used as the normal state button image using the Button Normal Image field. This button image is visible to the candidate as long as the mouse cursor is not resting over the button.
Button Rollover Image
An existing asset from the project can be used as the rollover state button image using the Button Rollover Image field. This button image is visible to the candidate when the mouse cursor is resting over the button.
|Show Button Image||The Show Button Image setting determines if the button image is displayed. The available options are True and False.|
The text title for the Exhibit window that pops open is specified using the Window Title field.
A single character alphanumeric value can be specified as a keyboard hotkey in conjunction with the ALT key for the candidate to open the Popup Exhibit without clicking its button.
Require Complete Exhibit Display
Use the Require Complete Exhibit Display field to require candidates to view the entire popup exhibit window before submitting the answer to the current item.
|Show Background||The Show Background setting specifies if the button background is displayed. The available options are True and False.|
|Show Border||The Show Border setting determines if the button border is displayed. The available options are True and False.|
The Window Position setting identifies where the exhibit window alignment will be on the screen. This can be Blank, top-left, top-center, top-right, center-left, center-center, center-right, bottomleft, bottom-center, or bottom-right.
|Window Height||The Window Height setting identifies the height of the exhibit window in pixels. This can be any non-zero integer or can be left blank.|
|Window Width||The Window Width setting identifies the width of the exhibit window in pixels. This can be any non-zero integer or can be left blank.|
The Add Popup Exhibit Group and Remove Popup Exhibit Group controls allow you to add and remove popup exhibit buttons respectively.
Advanced Properties tab
The Advanced Properties tab is accessible by clicking and expanding the Advanced Properties accordion control tab.
- This tab allows you to specify the title for the exhibits window in the Title field. Thus, if you specify a title text for this setting in a Display type item in the Standard Item Bank Project, and that Display type item is used as a split screen Exhibit, then this text is displayed instead of the Question ID as the tab title in the Pearson VUE Player.
Using the Exhibits feature
Let’s take a look at how these two exhibit types can be added in the below example.
Split Screen Exhibits
- First add the Split Screen Exhibit. Click and expand the Split Screen Exhibits accordion control tab.
If you are working with an item that is assigned to case, the case split screen exhibit is listed and you are unable to delete it.
- Enter at least the first three characters of the Exhibit Question ID or text contained in the item to be added as the exhibit, in the Add Item field. A drop-down list appears below the field with information about an existing Display type item from the current project, in the form of “Number: Question ID Text: Question title”. Click on an item in this drop-down list to select as the exhibit.
- The selected exhibit details are visible below the Add Item text box. Click the Add Item button to add the selected item as exhibit.
- The exhibit details appear below the Add Item text box in an Item grid. You can add more exhibits in a similar way and they all appear in the grid.
- If the exhibit is not required or added in error, click the Delete Item icon corresponding to an added exhibit in the grid and remove it.
- It is also possible to drag and reorder the sequence of item exhibits added in the grid.
We will now add Popup Exhibits.
- To add the popup exhibit, click and expand the Popup Exhibits accordion control tab.
- Add Exhibits in the same way as mentioned from steps 2 to 4 above.
You can add additional popup exhibit buttons by clicking the Add Popup Exhibit Group at the bottom of the window.
- Export the QTI Package and view it in the Assessment Driver. The candidate may view the exhibits as below: