Select the Manage → Settings → Configuration menu and click the Cases tab. The Project Manager can specify a name format to be automatically set for any new cases that are created. There are five preset keywords that can be used to create a case name as can be seen on the page. Of these, the #INCREMENT keyword is a number that automatically increments when it encounters a previous case name in a similar format.
Let us consider the following example to see how the Case Name preset works.
With the above keywords format, the Name field of a new case is populated by a default name as below.
A case can be converted to a section when it is exported to QTI Package by enabling the check box for Export Cases as Sections (For QTI Packages). The reason for this functionality is to keep together items within cases just like items within a section. Before this functionality was implemented, items from cases used to get mixed up with independent items and it was not possible to identify them as being associated with the case.
We can understand this functionality with the following example:
- Create an exam form with two independent items, a case containing two items, and a section containing two independent items as below. Make sure that the Export Cases as Sections (For QTI Packages) box is not selected on the Cases tab of the project's configuration. Add the case items and independent items to the exam form.
- Add the section to the exam form.
- Click the Contents tab. You will see that the independent items and the items from the selected case are all displayed together under a Section named "Unsectioned". A message at the top of the page also notifies you that the Unsectioned section contains both case and standalone questions.
- Select the Exam Form from the View Exam page and click Build QTI Package. The case is not listed as one of the sections.
You can see above that the default Section node “$S1” contains all the items, including the ones from the case, in the right pane of the Delivery Configuration Tool page. There is no way to differentiate between the independent items and the ones from the case.
- Now select the check box for Export Cases as Sections (For QTI Packages) on the Cases tab of the project's configuration, and click Update.
- Open the above exam form for editing from the View Exam page and click the Contents tab. You will see that the included case is now displayed as a separate section with the case name and its contained items.
- Select the above exam form from the View Exam page and click Build QTI Package.
You can see above that the default Section node “$S1” contains only the independent items, in the right pane of the Delivery Configuration Tool page.
The case “Doc Case” is created as a Section node under the parent ExamForm node at the same level as the Sections "$S1" and "Documentation Section", and contains the items, which are part of the case.