The behavior is different when you automatically check-out an item vs. manually checking out an item. There are even differences based on the role of the user and the page that is checked out. Click the link to review each type of item locking.
- Automatically Check-out an Item
- Reviewer Manually Check-out an Item
- Project Manager Manually Check-out an Item
- Project Manager Manually Check-in an Item
- Project Manager Manually Check-in multiple Items
Users can Automatically check-out an item from the following pages: Write Questions, Modify Questions from the Review Questions page, Modify Questions from the Examine Questions page, Add/Edit Case, and Write Case Questions. Items are automatically checked-in depending upon where the item was checked-out from.
- Select the Develop Questions → Review menu.
- The Project Review Summary page displays a count of the item included in the search criteria used to create the Review Assignment.
- Click the Image RemovedImage Added Edit icon to view the assignment from which the Items must be reviewed.
Click the Check-out button.
The Check-out button toggles to the Check-in button when you have manually checked out an item.
This manual check-out prevents other users from editing the item as long as it is checked out. When other reviewers navigate to the checked-out item on the Review Questions page, a message notifies them which user has the item checked out and they are prevented from opening the item for modification. The Advance, Return, and Modify buttons are disabled as long as the item is checked-out.
When multiple reviewers are all viewing the item on the Review Questions page, a message states how many other reviewers are currently viewing the item. As soon as one of the other viewers moves to a different item or navigates away from the Review Questions page, the message is updated in near real-time for all the other users viewing the item. This makes it easier for reviewers to determine if they should work on the selected item, or move on to a different item that is not being reviewed by other users. This messaging does not include any project managers viewing the item from the Examine Questions page.
- If you wish to Edit the item, click the Modify button. The Modify Question page opens and a message notifies you that you checked out the item and provides the date and timestamp for the check-out.
- Make the required modifications. The buttons on the on the Modify Questions page affect the manual check-out status as follows:
- Save - Item remains checked out, Reviewer stays on the Modify Question page
- Advance - Saves changes, checks-in the item, and moves the item to the next review state
- Return - Saves changes, checks-in the item, and returns the item to the previous review state
- Exit - Does not save the item, and the item remains checked out for the specified amount of time
- Navigate away from page - Does not save the item, item remains checked out for the specified amount of time
- Select the Manage → Project Bank → Questions menu.
- Search for the desired items using the Search Criteria and click the Retrieve Questions button.
- Select the Items you want to examine by selecting the check box for each desired item.
- Click the Examine Questions button.
If the item is not checked out by another user, the Check-out button appears at the top of the page. Click the Check-out button.
If the item is checked out by another user, when the Project Manager views the item on the Examine Questions page a message notifies them which user has the question checked out and they are prevented from opening the item for modification. The Return to Author, and Modify buttons, and the Change State button are disabled as long as the item is checked-out. See Project Manager Manually Check-in an Item below.
- The Check-out button changes to Check-in. There is no messaging that you have the item checked out, the button changing to Check-in is your only indicator that you have the question checked-out.
The item remains checked out for 99 years unless one of the following actions occur:
- A Project Manager clicks the Check-in button
- A Project Manager changes the state of the item
- The Project Manager modifies the item and Submits the item on the Modify Question page
The system does not automatically check-in the item when it has been manually checked out in the following scenarios:
- If the system-timeout period elapses for the Project Manager that manually checked-out the item
- If the Project Manager opens the question on the Modify Question page and leaves it idle for more than five minutes
The following actions occur when Project Managers manually check-out items:
- Reviewers receive real-time item review notifications if the Project Manager manually checks-out the item
- The Modify, Advance, and Return buttons are disabled for Reviewers when the Project Manager manually checks-out the item
- If you wish to edit the item, click the Modify button. The Modify Question page opens and a message notifies you that you checked out the item and provides the date and timestamp for the check-out.
- Make the required modifications to the item. The buttons on the on the Modify Questions page affect the manual check-out status as follows:
- Submit - Saves the changes, and checks-in the item
- Exit - Removes any edits made to the item, returns to the Examine Questions page, and the item remains checked out
- Navigate away from page - Does not save the item, item remains checked out