- To add an exam form to your project, select the Create Exam Form → Add Exam Form menu. The Create/Edit Exam Form page is displayed.
- Click the Select button below Exam, to open an Exam pop-up window. You can proceed in one of the following two ways:
- Associate the exam form with an existing exam:
- Select one of the exams in the list by selecting the corresponding radio button, and click the Select button near the bottom of the window.
- The selected exam is associated with the selected exam form.
- Create a new exam and associate the exam form with it:
Enter a name for the exam in the Exam text box and click the Add New button.
A new exam is created with the specified name and the selected exam form is associated with it.
Retired exam forms are also included in the exam form count on the Exam Forms page.
The specified/selected exam name becomes visible under the Exam field of the the Create/Edit Exam Form page.
When enabled the Object banks check box is selected (it is not selected by default) on the Configuration page of the Item Bank, the Type of form feature becomes visible on the Create/Edit Exam Form page and you must select the type of form to be exported into the QTI package - Exam form or Object bank. The default selection is Exam form.
When Exam form is selected, the exported QTI package of the exam form contains the file Assessment.xml.
When Object bank is selected, the exported QTI package of the Exam Form contains the file ObjectBank_ExamFormName.xml in place of Assessment.xml.
- Associate the exam form with an existing exam:
- Enter the name of the exam form in the Form name field.
You can also specify the QTI Title in the Form title text box. This saves you the trouble of specifying it later in the Exam Editor on the Delivery Configuration Tool (QTI Builder) page before exporting the QTI Package containing the exam form. This field is not mandatory.
Note If you do not specify any QTI Title for the exam form in the application, the Exam Editor displays a blank in the Title field. When you specify text in this Title field and click the Save button, it is saved in the QTI Package template for that particular exam form and becomes the Exam Form title for the particular exam form that is used in the exported QTI Package. That particular exam form itself retains its original QTI Title from the application (if any is specified on the Create/Edit Exam Form page) and the new title is only applicable to that exam form contained in the exported QTI Package. The original QTI Title specified in the application can be restored by clicking the Reset button.
- Specify the Language Code for the exam form via the Language drop-down list. Remember that all elements in the exam form belong to the same language code as specified here. The language code option is not available if only a single language code exists in the Item Bank configuration. The default language code of the Item Bank is already selected by default.
- Apply an Exam Form Template, if it exists, by selecting one from the Template drop-down list. Read more about it in Exam Form Templates.
- You can add the following elements in your exam form:
- Exam Sections
- Metadata (Optional)
- Add items to the exam form:
You can add items that belong to a case, a subset of items from a case, and independently authored items to an exam form.
Set the search criteria using the fields in the Add Questions tab.
For more details, refer to Searching Items.
Click Retrieve Questions. The items that meet the criteria are displayed in the lower half of the page.
All states of items except Draft, Imported, Rejected, and Obsolete state are displayed in these search results.
Stems of R-Type items do not show up in the item search results.
All case items (Display-Type Exhibits) do not show up in the item search results.
The search results can be sorted by clicking on the column headers. Clicking a header a second time sorts the items in reverse order.
Info Expand title How does the selection and pagination of search results work? Excerpt Include 22.214.171.124 Search Results Pagination and Selection nopanel true
Select the check box to the left of the item you want to add it in to the exam form.
You can add standalone items, all the items from a case, or a subset of items from a case. For example, you may have a case that groups a set of items regarding Geography. On one exam form, you may only want to include the items regarding South American Geography. You can select only those items that pertain to South American Geography. All items that belong to a case are identified in the Case column. The Case column is blank for standalone items.
- Click Add Selected Contents to add the selected items to the exam form.
The items are added to the Contents tab. A message appears at the top of the page identifying the sections and number of items added to the exam form.
When you add items from a case, ExamDeveloper creates a separate section for each set of case items if Export Cases as Sections (For QTI Packages) check box is selected on Cases tab of the project's configuration. The section is given the same name as the case. The message identifies if a subset of items was added. There is no messaging for standalone items. All standalone items are grouped together in an Unsectioned Section. If Export Cases as Sections (For QTI Packages) check box is not selected on Cases tab of the project's configuration, then all items are added to the unsectioned section.
When items are added to the exam form, the following rules are followed:
- First, all standalone items are added into into a single unsectioned section and sorted by Question ID in ascending order. You can no longer have more than one unsectioned section as of the 1810 release.
- Second, case items are added into a Section using the case name as the section title, and sorted by Case Name in ascending order and then by case item in ascending order.
- Third, if items already exist on the section, any new items are added to the end of the section following the rules listed above.
- Add Exam Sections to the exam form:
- Click Add Exam Sections tab.
You can search for exam sections by entering their names in the search box. Draft and Published state exam sections can be retrieved.
Sections can be searched using wildcard characters. Thus, you can specify a search criteria “S*” and it returns search results such as “S1”, “S3”, "S101", etc. This is useful to quickly search for a section even if you know only part of its title.
- Select the exam sections you want to add to the exam form and click Add Selected Contents.
- The section is added to the Selected tab. The new section is added to the bottom of the Contents tab below any other sections that were previously added.
- Add Metadata to the exam form:
- Click the Metadata tab
Insert metadata contents as required.
- Click the Metadata tab
The Contents tab of exams form displays the currently selected items (cases, items/exam sections) on the exam form.
If Export Cases as Sections (For QTI Packages) check box is not selected on Cases tab of the project's configuration, all items are grouped into an unsectioned section.
If Export Cases as Sections (For QTI Packages) check box is selected on Cases tab of the project's configuration, items on cases are grouped into sections by case. All stand-alone items are grouped into an unsectioned section.
The Contents tab includes the following features:
Reorder questions by The order of items within each section on the exam form can be reordered by selecting an option from the drop-down list. By default the items are listed in ascending order by Question ID. Reorder options include:
- Question ID
- External ID
- Blueprint ID
Submit Use the Submit button after selecting the Reorder questions by options to change the order of the items. Remove selected questions Items can be selected via corresponding check boxes and deleted by clicking the Remove selected questions button. Collapse Expand All sections can be collapsed to hide the list of items in the section. You can drag the sections to rearrange the order of the sections. Click Expand to reveal all the items in all the sections. Section Name Displays the name of the Section or the Case. Click the Section Name link to view the case, or exam section details. Placeholder Placeholder is only applicable if an Exam Form Template is applied to the exam form. You can apply sections to a placeholder from an exam form template. Experimental Select the section level Experimental check box to assign the section as experimental items. Select individual item check boxes to set Experimental for single items. These items do not participate in the Angoff calculations for the Exam Form. Lock Response Select the section level Lock Response check box to set Lock Response for every item within the section. Select individual item check boxes to set the Lock Response for single items
Lock Response is supported for the following item types:
- MCQ, One Correct Option
- MCQ, Multiple Correct Options
- Pull-down List
- Shared Option List (R-Type)
- Constructed Response / Oral
- Point and Click
- Fill in the Blank
The system does not prevent you from applying Lock Response to the following item types, but Lock Response is NOT enforced and no system errors are produced:
- Enhanced Matching
Individual Lock Response check boxes for items on cases are disabled. You cannot change this setting on the exam form. You must go back and change the setting on the Add/Edit Case page.
Remove Section Click the Remove Section button to remove the section and all its items from the exam form.
Select item check box(s) to remove the item by clicking the Remove selected questions button.
Select a number and drag the item up or down to re-order the items.
The system ID of the selected item.
The Blueprint level to which the item is assigned.
Displays the state of the items (Draft/Review/Locked/Completed).
Displays the question stem, case name, or exam section name. You can click on these to view the item, case, or exam section.
Weight You can assign weights to each item on the exam form by entering the weight in the corresponding text box. The default weight for all items is 1. Note
Items and sections in an exam form can be marked as Experimental, this makes the items non-scoring.
Individual check boxes exist to mark individual items included in the exam form as Experimental.
Items contained in cases are also listed along with the individual items and have individual check boxes to mark them as Experimental.
Items contained in sections included in the exam form are listed separately for individual sections. In addition to individual check boxes for such items, there is also a common check box to mark all the items in a section as Experimental in one step.
After selecting the required check boxes, you must click the Save button to save the items as Experimental or click Cancel button to discard changes.
In a similar way, check boxes for Lock Response can also be marked for individual items or collectively for sections. The Lock Response is disabled for case items. You must go back and change the setting on the Add/Edit Case page.
An error message in red is displayed when you try to add Enemy items to an exam form with the check box next to Allow enemies on this form un-selected.
The details about enemy contents can be seen by clicking the validation rules hyperlink, which displays a pop-up as shown below:
It is still possible to proceed to save such an exam form with enemy items by selecting the Allow enemies on this form check box.
Note title Items cannot be added multiple times on an exam
Users are prevented from saving an exam form when an item has been added to the exam more than once. Examples of this situation include:
- adding the item directly on the exam multiple times
- adding the item in different sections
- adding the item directly to the exam and in a section
- adding the item in a case, a section, or directly in the exam
This example has the item in a case and a section that have been added to the exam.
When you Save the exam form, an error is displayed and the exam form is not saved. Click the validation rules link to view the rule that was broken.
The validation rules pop-up lists the item that is on the exam more than once. You must remove the duplicate item and then save the exam form.
Once the exam form has all of the items the user requires and it is sorted as the user prefers, click the Save button to apply all of the changes that were made to the exam form.
- Click the Contents tab.
- Select the desired sort order from the Reorder questions by drop-down list.
Image RemovedImage Added
- Question ID
- External ID
- Blueprint ID
- Click the Submit button. The items within each section are rearranged according to the selected sort order.
- Click Save.