Exam Sections can be used to group items and assets together, or to administer parts of the exam form in separate batches.
You can add, remove, and reorder items on exam sections from the Create/Edit Exam Section page.
Add an exam section
- Select the Create Exam Form → Add Section menu.
- Enter the Section Name for the exam section. The section name must be unique within the project.
You can also specify the QTI Ident in the Section ident text box. This saves you the trouble of specifying it later in the Exam Editor on the Delivery Configuration Tool (QTI Builder) page before exporting the QTI Package containing the section.
The Use External Id instead of Question Id when available shows the external Question ID in the Question field. This option is only used for a QTI output.
The Allow enemy questions on this section check box, when selected, allows items/assets with enemy association to be included in the same section.
Allow Enemies questions on this section check box on the Create/Edit Exam Section page provides a mechanism to identify if items being added to an exam section have enemy association with each other. This check box is not selected by default. The state of this check box is maintained once an exam section is saved.
An error message is generated specifying details about the items having enemy association when this check box is not selected and the Save button is clicked after selecting items with enemy association. These error messages appear on various pages as mentioned below.
You can search for items to add to the exam section in the Select Questions tab.
Set the search criteria using the fields in the Add Questions tab.
Click Retrieve Questions. The items that meet the criteria are displayed in the lower half of the page.
Select the check box to the left of the item to add it in the section.
- Click Add Contents to add the selected items to the section.
The Contents tab displays the items that have been added to the section.
The message at the top of the window identifies the types of items that have been added to the section (case and/or stand-alone), and it identifies if a subset of items from a case have been added to the section.
The Contents tab includes following features
Column Description Remove Remove the corresponding item. Question ID Displays the System generated ID for the item. If there are items in multiple languages, the ID is appended with ".language". State Displays the current state of the item. Case Displays the name of the case, if an item is on a case. This field is blank for stand-alone items. You can click the Case name link to view the case details in a pop-up window. Stem Displays the Question stem. You can click the Question stem link to view the Question Summary in a pop-up window. Sort Order & Sort button
Select the desired column by which you want to sort the items from the Sort Order drop-down list and click the Sort button. Randomize Order Click the Randomize Order link to randomly rearrange the order of the items. You can also manually drag items in the list to change the order of the items.
- The Assets tab lets you add assets to the section and set the percentage of split to display images. The assets are bundled with the QTI output and display as exhibits in the Pearson VUE Compiler. Click Add Assets.
- In the Attach Asset pop-up window, click the Retrieve Assets button and click the Attach Asset button for the desired asset. Close the Attach Asset window.
- The asset is added to the Assets tab. Enter the Split Screen Ratio (%) percentage of split to display the images. Click Add Contents.
- Click Save once you are satisfied with the contents on the exam section. The Exam Sections page now lists your section.